MS KB328728 describes how to run Windows Media Services and and IIS on the same server in Windows 2003, but the WMSHttpSysCfg utility the KB article references does not exist on Windows 2008.
Here’s how to run both WMS and IIS on Windows 2008.
1. Install both WMS and IIS
2. Add a second IP address to the server by either configuring a second NIC or by binding a second IP address to the existing network card.
3. From a command prompt type
net stop wmserver
net stop iisadmin
net stop http
4. From a command propmt run netsh.exe. It will open a netsh> command prompt.
5. Type http and press enter. You will now have a netsh http> command prompt.
6. Type show iplisten and press enter. It should not show any IP addresses under “IP Listen” if this procedure has not been done before.
7. What you want to do now is to add the IP address that IIS websites will EXCLUSIVELY use. Type add iplisten 18.104.22.168 and press enter (where 22.214.171.124 is the IP address that IIS websites will use).
You can confirm this by repeating step #6 above.
8. From a command prompt type
net start wmserver
net start iisadmin
net start http
9. Create websites (or configure the default website) using only the IP address that was used in step #7 above.
To configure IIS, open Server Manager > Roles > Web Server (IIS) > Internet Information Services (IIS ) Manager > ServerName > Sites.
Right click Default Web Site and select Edit Bindings.
Highlight the binding, press edit, and enter the IP address > OK > Close.
10. Restart the web server by typing iisreset from a command prompt.
11. Configure WMS HTTP Server Control Protocol to use the IP address THAT WAS NOT USED in step #7 above.
To configure WMS HTTP Server Control Protocol, open Server Manager > Roles > Streaming Media Services > Windows Media Services > ServerName.
Select the Properties tab, then click Control Protocol.
Right click WMS HTTP Server Control Protocol and click Disable.
Right click WMS HTTP Server Control Protocol and select Properties.
Click Allow selected IP Addresses to use this Protocol. Specify the IP address you DID NOT assign to IIS in step #7 above. Click Apply > OK.
Right-click WMS HTTP Server Control Protocol, and then click Enable.
Instructions are based on a solution posted by Wayne Coleman.