We previously fixed this error by following the instructions found in Blackberry KB11703, but that only fixes the problem for a few months, and requires Intellisync to be reconfigured. This includes re-entering the Groupwise password, which can be a problem if the user is not around when you are troubleshooting the problem!
Her configuration included the following:
- Windows XP SP2
- Groupwise Client 7.0.2
- Blackberry Desktop Manager 220.127.116.11.4
No relevant errors were shown in the Windows System or Application log files.
Her Blackberry Desktop Manager RIM.log file showed the following error messages:
- “Failed to open device database!”
- “Internal Error #-728. Translation Canceled!”
“Internal Error #4238. Translation Canceled!“
I enabled advanced logging for Intellisync by following the instructions in Blackberry KB01451 and found the following errors in the ptTrace.log file:
- Wed Apr 23 12:27:24 2008: Error 1st=1053 (f=0xb006) 2nd=722 (f=0x8a0a2).-728 at D:\TEMPDIR_5154\se_5x_engine\iltif2\TIFSYNC.CPP line 5156
- Wed Apr 23 12:27:24 2008: Error 0x41d.1053.-728 at D:\TEMPDIR_5154\se_5x_engine\iltif2\TIFSYNC.CPP line 4926
- Wed Apr 23 12:27:24 2008: Error 0.-728 at D:\TEMPDIR_5154\se_5x_engine\ilxtrans\CILTRANS.CPP line 1383
- Wed Apr 23 12:27:24 2008: Error -728.-728 at D:\TEMPDIR_5154\se_5x_engine\ilsdk\Ilx_sdk.cpp line 337
12:27:24.921: Translation Unit Status: User=4014a094, rc=-728, Phase=30, TrErr=-728, SysErr=0 at D:\TEMPDIR_5154\se_5x_engine\ilx32\XLATEV3.cpp line 490
- Wed Apr 23 12:27:24 2008: Error -728.-728 at D:\TEMPDIR_5154\se_5x_engine\ilsync\XLATE.CPP line 3243
- Wed Apr 23 12:27:24 2008: Error -728.-728 at D:\TEMPDIR_5154\se_5x_engine\ilsync\XLATE.CPP line 2893
- Wed Apr 23 12:27:24 2008: Error -728.-728 at D:\TEMPDIR_5154\se_5x_engine\ilsync\XLATE.CPP line 2465
- Wed Apr 23 12:27:24 2008: Error -728.-728 at D:\TEMPDIR_5154\se_5x_engine\ilsync\XLATE.CPP line 3689
To fix the Groupwise calendar synchronization problem I did the following, without re-configuring Intellisync:
1) Open Blackberry Desktop Manager – Synchronize icon – Configuration tab – Configure Sync button – Configure drop down box – Advanced Settings
2) Select the Field Mapping Button
3) Double Click on Alarm Flag, Free Busy, and Private to make the mapping relationship double arrows disappear.
4) Click OK 3 times
5) Select Synchronize tab – Synchronize Now. Synchronization should now succeed.
6) Navigate to Configure Sync button – Configure drop down box – Advanced Settings – Field Mappings button.
7) Drag the fields in the right column up or down to align them with matching Handheld fields in the left column. Click or press the spacebar to map or unmap the fields. Re-associate the following fields:
Alarm Flag – Alarm Flag
Free Busy – Status
Private – Private Flag
8 ) Click OK 3 times
9) Select Synchronize tab – Synchronize Now. Synchronization should now succeed.
I chose the Alarm Flag, Free Busy and Private field mappings because they seemed somewhat non-standard. I may have only needed to re-associate one of these fields. If/When the synchronization fails again, I’ll try just changing one field at a time to try to nail down which one actually caused the problem.
You may also find that a different field mapping is the cause of your problem. To ensure the calendar synchronization is actually the cause of your issues, try performing a sync with no categories selected for synchronization. If this succeeds, try enabling synchronization for one category at a time until you can get the sync to fail.