I have a client who wanted to integrate Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) version 4.1.3 with his Groupwise 7.0.1 system. He already had a Windows 2003 SP2 server ready for me to install BES onto, so I figured it would be a quick job. I was wrong.
The first hurdle appeared when I started to run the BES setup program on the Windows 2003 server. The installer refused to run because the server was running in Terminal Services Application mode, which is not a supported configuration.
We changed our plan and started running the BES installer on a different Windows 2003 SP2 server, but this time the installer quit because we did not have at least SQL 2000 SP3a on the server. Determining which version of SQL 2000 is installed is not the easiest thing to do, so we just went ahead and downloaded and installed SQL 2000 SP4.
After installing SQL 2000 SP4 we were able to install BES without problems, but BES was unable to communicate with Groupwise. We determined the problem was the version of the Groupwise client installed on the BES server was 7.0.1 IR1, which is not a supported configuration – we’d later learn we needed to be on versions 7.0.2 or 6.5.6 FTF4. Utilizing client 7.0.2 would have required upgrading the entire Groupwise system, so we decided to backrev to client 6.5.6.
I uninstalled the 7.0.1 IR1 client, rebooted the server, then installed GroupWise 6.5
Support Pack 6, Update 1 dated June 27, 2006. After rebooting the server again, BES and Groupwise could not communicate.
We uninstalled the GroupWise 6.5 Support Pack 6, Update 1 client, rebooted, then tried GroupWise 6.5 Post SP6 Client Rev 4 dated November 10, 2006. We found this to be the required client version according to KB04164, but it didn’t work for us despite following the special installation instructions listed in TID 2974707. We kept receiving the following error message in gwenv1.dll when executing the client:
Entry point not found. WpfCheckAncestryAnd Read
I figured the problem had to lie with gwenv1.dll, so I checked the file’s date. C:\windows\system32\gwenv1.dll was dated 6/16/2006, while the gwenv1.dll found in GroupWise 6.5 Post SP6 Client Rev 4 was dated 11/6/2006.
I suspected the problem was that files from previous Groupwise client installations were not being overwritten by the new client installations. I uninstalled the GroupWise 6.5 Post SP6 Client Rev 4 client , rebooted, ran Messaging Architects’ GW CleanIT, rebooted, then reinstalled GroupWise 6.5 Post SP6 Client Rev 4 client per the TID’s instructions.
We were finally able to communicate with Groupwise through the BES server!
In hindsight, I wish I would have found Blackberry’s KB KB12662, “Perform basic troubleshooting steps for Novell GroupWise”, prior to beginning the BES installation. It probably would have saved us a few hours worth of work.