I had a Windows 2003 Small Business Server box that has been getting the following error repeatedly:
“Event 3006, Source Perflib: Unable to read the performance counter strings of the 00x language ID”
I checked eventid.net first, but none of the suggestions helped. I googled the error, and came across this post on the petri.co.il forum, which discusses Exchange and McAfee, which are both on this server.
None of the suggestions helped, but I did google the following registry key, which the author of the post referenced:
hklm/software/microsoft/windows nt/current version/perflib
I was nervous when I only got two hits on my query, but this mcafee forum post led me to this URL:
which of course was a dead link. So I searched McAfee’s site for IERegFix.bat and eventually found that file, which I downloaded and ran on the server. It immediately solved the problem.